CELEBRATING A CENTENNIAL
St. Charles Health System is a private, non-profit organization with a vision of creating America’s healthiest community, together. Headquartered in Bend, Oregon, St. Charles is an integrated delivery system that provides a full range of quality, evidence-based health care services within a 32,000-square mile area in central and eastern Oregon. The organization is focused on developing a culture of continuous improvement and looks to its caregivers to serve as frontline problem-solvers.
The health system owns and operates St. Charles hospitals in Bend, Redmond, Prineville, and Madras. With four hospitals, over 4,000 caregivers, and more than 220 employed medical providers, St. Charles Health System is the largest provider of medical care in Central Oregon. We take our role in our communities seriously and have pledged to work with our partners to achieve our vision: Creating America’s healthiest community, together.
St. Charles Bend
The story of St. Charles began in 1918 when the first hospital in Bend officially opened on the banks of the Deschutes River. It started with five Sisters of St. Joseph whose mission was to care for all or care for none. The current location of the Bend hospital opened in 1975. It became a community, nonprofit organization in the 1970s and maintained an affiliation with the Catholic Church until February 2010. The spirit of compassionate caring first fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph is alive and well at St. Charles today.
St. Charles Redmond
In 1951, Redmond made history as the first city in Oregon to form a public hospital district. Central Oregon District Hospital was built in 1952 on 20 acres north of town. The public supported the hospital with tax dollars and community members were elected to serve on the Board of Directors up until the time of the merger between the Bend and Redmond hospitals. As part of its continued commitment to the Redmond community, St. Charles Health System invested in the Redmond facility through a $30 million addition that opened in 2006.
St. Charles Prineville
The 62,000-square-footSt. Charles Prineville campus opened on Sept. 21, 2015. Replacing Pioneer Memorial Hospital, St. Charles Prineville offers a wide range of patient, family and visitor services including primary care and specialty care clinics, Emergency Department, Lab, Radiology and Rehab. St. Charles Prineville is leading the way as St. Charles Health System transitions from a medical model to a team-based, integrated patient-centered care model. To be more patient-focused, individual physician offices have been eliminated in favor of central work and lounge spaces for the entire patient-care team. The traditional patient waiting area has been replaced with a concierge-style patient greeting desk and the public area includes seating and a café, which may also be used for community events and gatherings.
St. Charles Madras
St. Charles Madras, previously Mountain View Hospital, first opened its doors in 1967. The hospital worked closely with St. Charles Health System through a management agreement for many years before formally joining the St. Charles system in 2013. St. Charles Madras is a critical access hospital with 25 licensed beds and 240 employees. The hospital provides surgical services, imaging, intensive care, a Family Birthing Center, medical and emergency care and an outpatient laboratory. A renovation and expansion including a new main entrance, galleria with centralized admitting, emergency department, lab and radiology area was completed in 2017. The $16 million project fulfilled St. Charles’ commitment to the Madras community to invest in and improve the facility for generations to come.